I just set up a new site on a Vultr VPS with EasyEngine. It took about 30 seconds.
However, EasyEngine runs on Nginx and not on Apache, rewrite rules are not handles via .htaccess nut within the server configuration.
That is why my SEOPress plugin threw a 404 error when I tried to access the sitemaps (which I need to submit to Google).
So here is a step by step solution on how to fix that 404 Error and make the sitemap work on EasyEngine Nginx with SEOPress plugin.
This is a Windows user-friendly method.
- Get an FTP client like FileZilla and log in the server.
- Go to
/etc/nginx/sites-availabledirectory. The file names here are the specific configurations for each site you have installed on the server.
- Open the file for the site you want to change the config with Notepad++.
- Right before the closing } insert this code
rewrite ^/sitemaps\.xml$ /index.php?seopress_sitemap=1 last;
rewrite ^/sitemaps_xsl\.xsl$ /index.php?seopress_sitemap_xsl=1 last;
rewrite ^/sitemaps/([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)?\.xml$ /index.php?seopress_cpt=$1 last;
- Open Putty and SSH in the server with your root user and pass.
- Type service nginx restart in the console. This should restart the server.
- Done. Now the sitemap.xml should work.